- The contest is open to songwriters who are 18 years of age or older on the date of song submission. Any entrant who is a minor in his or her jurisdiction of legal residence will be required to obtain and submit written permission from his or her parent or legal guardian to participate in the contest.
- Employees of NewSong Music, their families, subsidiaries, and affiliates are not eligible.
- For the purposes of the competition, a song must have both lyrics and music and can be of any genre. All submitted songs must be original, unpublished (or self-published) songs that have been written or co-written by the entrant(s).
- For competition purposes, an unpublished song is defined as being recorded and self-released by the entrant(s) and/or not co-published by a commercially active music publisher.
- Co-writers are subject to the same eligibility criteria.
- Past grand prize winners of the international NewSong Performance and Songwriting Competition are not eligible to enter the contest. All other previous entrants and finalists are eligible.
- Artists from anywhere in the world are eligible to enter.
2) SUBMISSION POLICY
- Each entry must be an original, unpublished musical composition (“composition”) for which the contestant retains the copyright and authority to submit and perform the composition in the contest. Payment for each composition entered in the contest must be made at the time of submission. NewSong Music is not responsible and disclaims any liability for late, lost, damaged, misdirected, postage due, stolen, or misappropriated entries or for any errors in online submissions, including, but not limited to unsuccessful file uploads. Materials submitted will not be returned and NewSong Music reserves the right to dispose of all submitted material in any manner.
3) COST TO ENTER (DISCOUNTED EARLY BIRD PRICING)
- One Song Entry: $40
- Two Song Entry: $75
- Each Additional Song: $25
4) HOW TO SUBMIT TO THE 2021 NewSong Music Competition
- MAIL-IN: MAIL IN A CD WITH YOUR SONG(S) AND A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE PAYABLE TO ‘NEWSONG, LLC’ TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS. ALSO INCLUDE YOUR NAME, ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER AS WELL.
NewSong Music Contest
14 O’Henry Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
5) FINALIST AND WINNER SELECTION
A total of eight (8) finalists will be selected to perform in the live performance finals of the 2021 NewSong Music Competition Showcase and Finals, held at Citizen Vinyl in downtown Asheville, NC on Saturday, December 4, 2021. The finalists will be selected from their advance audio submissions by a panel of music industry judges. There, each finalist will perform two original songs in the first round.
Judges will select three of the eight finalists to return to perform two additional, original songs. Judges will then select an overall winner.
6) THE FINALS
- The 19th annual NewSong Music Competition finals this year will be held on Saturday, December 4, 2021, at Citizen Vinyl, located in downtown Asheville, NC.
- Eight finalists will be selected from advance online song entries, and invited to compete, network and perform in the finals.
- Each entrant will receive a 10% discount on a vinyl pressing project at Citizen Vinyl (offer must used before January, 2023)
- The GRAND PRIZE winner will receive:
- a fully funded six song EP, recorded and mixed at Citizen Studios and released on the NewSong Recordings label
- [PENDING] a featured performance at the 2022 Sundance Film Festival’s Sundance ASCAP Music Café, at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, UT in late January, 2022
- a featured, paid performance at Arts Brookfield’s Summer Concert Series in New York City in the summer of 2022 (date TBD)
- 500 vinyl records (single, full color jacket w/ sleeve) of their grand prize EP, pressed at Citizen Vinyl.
- The two Award Round runner-ups will each receive a vinyl package of 300 x 12″ records (single full color jacket w/ sleeve)
- Each entrant will receive a 10% discount on a vinyl pressing project at Citizen Vinyl (offer must be used before January 2023)
8) NOTIFICATIONS & WAIVERS
– Selected finalists will be notified by email and each winner must provide the following items to be eligible to compete in the International NewSong Music Competition finals at Citizen Vinyl in Asheville, NC:
(i) an affidavit confirming
(a) that the winner meets the contest eligibility requirements,
(b) that his or her composition is original and unpublished, and
(c) that he or she owns the copyright in the composition;
(ii) a performance license and mechanical and synchronization licenses for audio and video recording rights; and
(iii) a publicity release (collectively, the “Affidavit”), all within 14 days of the notification date. The failure to sign and return the Affidavit within Fourteen (14) Days or the submission of false or inaccurate information will result in immediate disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected for the applicable regional or general round.
Affidavits for winners under 18 years of age at the time of submission must be countersigned by a parent or legal guardian. All Affidavits are subject to verification by and NewSong Music and its agents. Each contestant’s submission constitutes his or her permission to use his or her name, likeness, and voice for future advertising and publicity purposes without additional consideration.
NewSong Music retains the exclusive right to use in perpetuity any media inclusive of ancillary rights created in conjunction with our Singer-Songwriter Competition, including but not limited to; live recordings, video, webisodes, and photographs. Participants grant NewSong Music the use of this archival material in perpetuity.
This contest is void where prohibited. All federal, state, and local laws, regulations, rules, and ordinances apply.
- Entries must be unpublished original songs.
- Submissions are not subject to a time limit. But if you are selected as one of our eight finalists, your live performance of one original song on the finals contest stage must meet a strict six (6) minute limit or you will be penalized.
- The song MUST be performed by the song contest entrant. Songs that have been recorded with more than one backing musician can be submitted — for example, sending in a cut from a CD with multiple players. But remember, should you advance and perform live, you will only be allowed one backing musician on stage. This accompanist may play an instrument(s) and/or sing backup.
- Co-written songs may be submitted, but the person who enters the song must be the one who is the lead singer of the tune.
- IMPORTANT POINT: Though co-writers will be acknowledged, only the performing finalist can qualify to win a prize.
10) EXPLANATION OF RIGHTS
- The writer(s) retains all rights to submitted songs.